Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0
- Rotex Milling.
- Tour Zip Grooves.
- Laser Milling technology.
- More control.
- Improved versatility.
- Many grind options.
There are a lot of Golf wedges out in the market. Players buy any Golf equipment only if they are satisfied with it. Nevertheless, Cleveland has manufactured a lot of wedges in recent years and is still making them. Their goal is to provide superb playability along with outstanding features that a Golfer is looking for in a wedge.
It is a matter of relaxation to know that the replacement wedge of any Golfer will be good enough if it is not that better than the last one they were using. Cleveland was the first in the market to produce a special cavity back wedge. The 588 RTX 2.0 wedges offer a Rotex face technology with 15% sharper grooves, new sole grinds, and many other technologies allowed by the USGA. The Low, mid, and high bounce angle provides a plethora of versatility to fit the game of a Golfer.
Today we are going to review the Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Wedge. Let’s check its features as well as the performance. Only after that, we can decide whether to buy this RTX wedge or not.
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Wedge Review: First Impressions
|Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Specifications|
|Shaft Material||Alloy Steel|
|Bounce Angle||8° (Low bounce grind) / 12° (Standard bounce grind) / 14° (Full sole grind)|
Reasons To Buy
- Increased friction.
- More spin.
- Exceptional feel.
- Affordable Price.
- Amazing playability.
- Superb head shape and style choices.
Reasons To Avoid
- The black satin color leaves some wear marks while hitting from the center of the face.
- Rotex Milling – The 588 RTX 2.0 wedge consists of an advanced 2-pass micro milling pattern. It gives a strategic design that helps the wedge creating a nearness to the USGA limit. As a result, friction is increased as well as a Golfer will get more spin, especially from the rough and conflicting lies.
- Tour Zip Groove – The following feature that the wedge consists of is the fourth generation Grooves. These Grooves are constructed with steeper walls and sharper radii than it was created before. If you analyze the wedge meticulously, we can even see that more grass, dirt, and moisture are carried away from the face of the wedge. It will give a smooth contact and a more consistent spin.
- Laser Milling – The milling technology helps to inflect the micro-roughness in the RTX 2.0 to provide more consistency and texture across the face. This technology further allows Golfers to attain the roughness limit of the USGA. This technology helps to push the boundary in the Golf course, and spin is enhanced while taking pitch shots and chip shots.
The wedge is created with a new Rotex graphite wedge shaft. The shaft of the wedge weighs only 90 grams. It is lightweight and specifically designed to provide a better feel and performance for those players who also use graphite iron shafts.
This wedge does have another shaft to offer. It is named True Temper Dynamic Gold Shaft. The most exciting thing to know about the Dynamic Gold Shaft is that it is the standard model shaft as per the industry norms and featured as the number 1 wedge shaft in Golf tournaments for more than 30 years.
The RTX 2.0 comes with low, medium, and high bounce angle options in most of the shafts. The way of indicating the effective bounce is by checking the dots marked on the sole of the wedge. Moreover, the actual bounce is written on the wedge’s hosel.
- The one dot sole wedge is created for those Golfers who are gravely shallow into impact. Besides, the creative players around the greens with maximum heel and toe relief make it possible to play a vast array of shots. The one dot sole indicates the low bounce grind. This model comes in between 54 to 60 degrees of loft and works great from firm turf and sand conditions.
- The two dots sole has moderate relief in the toe, heel, and trailing edge that works well from all turf and sand conditions. This model is preferred for players who have a neutral angle of attack. Plus, the two dots sole makes the wedge more versatile in various situations. It is a medium bounce wedge. This model is available in 46 to 64 degrees of loft.
- The three dots sole is the high bounce wedge. It is mainly used by those Golfers who have a steeper angle of attack from the softer turf and sand conditions. Furthermore, the constant sole of the wedge makes the playability of a Golfer effortless while hitting full shots from the fairway or when opening the face.
Look / Feel
The RTX 2.0 Cavity Back wedge comes in Black Satin, Tour Satin finishes, and various other finishes. In addition to that, a Cavity Back (CB) model is also available. Those wedges have a marginally more significant footprint, broader soles to make them easy while hitting. Also, perimeter weighting is used for enhanced MOI.
The black satin will wear quite fast to leave some wear marks. So remember to hit the ball with this wedge out of the center for the best visual results.
The cavity back sits amazingly at the address, with a low amount of heel and toe relief. It affects the lie while playing various kinds of shots. Alternatively, it plays like a cavity back iron with a better feel from the cast head.
The face technique of the RTX 2.0 has conclusively changed the face of spin in Golf and now has taken it to a higher level.
With the evolution of the game to a more distance-centric style, Golfers are facing the increment in the number of scoring opportunities from 125 yards. Moreover, as 65% of all Golf shots take place from a distance, the number is going to increase.
When Cleveland has launched the RTX 2.0 wedge, they have focussed on providing players with more control and improved versatility that eventually leads to lower scores.
As per the claims of the Cleveland engineers, they have seen a shift toward Tour Golfers using more bounce in their wedges. They are also inspiring recreational players to test the wedges with higher bounce, which ultimately makes them uncomplicated to control the ball.
A cavity back wedge with a slightly bigger profile provides confidence and good forgiveness on full, chip, and pitch shots. Also, the subtle cavity enhances perimeter weighting for extra forgiveness on the off-center hits.
If you are a Golfer who dislikes wasting shots around the green, then the 588 RTX 2.0 wedge is for you to give it a try. No matter whatever lofts, soles, and shafts you choose, you will achieve persistent spin from the face of the RTX 2.0.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can anyone order the RTX 2.0 club with a Stiff shaft?
No, you can not order it with a stiff shaft. It is a wedge flex meaning it is stronger than a regular shaft.
2. Is the 52-degrees wedge a two dots standard bounce?
Yes, two dots means standard bounce for all Cleveland wedges. Anyway, standard bounce is available in different degrees of loft for the RTX 2.0.
3. Does this wedge help to improve the performance?
While manufacturing the RTX 2.0 wedge, Cleveland has focused on providing the players with more control and improved versatility that eventually leads to lower scores.